Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bottle to Sippy

Okay, yes we are 3 months behind on getting Lily Grace on a sippy cup. Next week is her 15 month check up and I know her Doctor will be mad at me if she is still on the bottle. Well, today I decided not to give her a bottle. It was a lot better day than I imagined! She was a little fussy throughout the day but it was not that bad. The only thing is, she was getting four 9 oz. bottles a day plus 3 oz. in her cereal in the mornings which is a total of 39 oz. of milk a day. Way too much milk!!! No wonder she is so big! So today, I fixed her a 9 oz. sippy cup of milk and she sipped on that off and on all day. She never finished it completely. Then Marty gave her a "night time" bottle. He said she sucked it dry quick! We have never given her bottles before bedtime because we had always heard this was hard to get away from, so this one was given to her before bath time. I thought this might be good for her until she gets a little more used to the sippy cup. Anyway, she probably got approximately 18 oz. of milk today. Is that normal?? This has been the hardest thing for us with Lily Grace because she loves the bottle so much and hates the sippy cup so much. I will take any advice anyone will give us!

4 Comments:

  1. Amanda McCrory said...
    Your doing a great thing just hang in there it's going to be hard and she is going to cry but let her know she is drinking from a BIG GIRL cup! On Adrianna's first birthday I got a box put every bottle we had in it and took it to a friends house so I would not be tempted to give her one she hated the cup but did really good drinking from my cup. It was really hard but worth the effort! Good luck!! She is going to surprise you.
    Kim Lawson said...
    Oh, Peyton, I don't have much advice except to stick with it! I started introducing sippy cups around 10 months with all of mine and they were all off the bottle by the time it was their 1st birthday. I am lucky that my three took to a sippy cup very quickly. Just hang in there be persistent.
    Anonymous said...
    My doc was really adament about cutting down on the milk bc Law wasn't eating table food as much as we would like, so he said as little as 12-16oz was enough. Sometimes, to make sure Law is getting enough to drink, I'll hold him and the sippy cup like I do when I give him a bottle. He usually drinks all the milk when I do that.
    Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...
    Peyton, At 12 months I did basically what you described that you did today. Olivia was given the sippy cup all throughout the day and she got one bottle in the evening. Then after a few days we took that away too. She was fussy for a day or two but quickly realized that she had to drink from her cup. Like everyone said be persistant. At that age, Olivia really like the trainer cups with handles and the soft spout. About the milk in-take Olivia drinks about 12 oz a day. I think you'll find that she'll cut it back on her own as she moves to the cup.

Post a Comment